2011年9月18日日曜日

CA Blogging Assignment #1

              My topic for the essay on race, ethnicity and gender is the influence of immigrants on education in Australia.
I chose this topic because Australia is often said as a multicultural country.  The number of immigrants living in Australia is increasing.  When I lived in Australia, I felt strange to see Australians of different origins.  We cannot tell the person’s nationality from his looks, which means there are many races in Australians.
Some people say that Australia is triying to immerse people's culture and decrese the ethnicity in the country.  However I think that the Australian education focuses more on educating the students to understand other races and cultures.  For example, there are classes of religions in Australian schools.  In the religion classes, students go to different classes depending on the religion they believe in.  There are of course, classes for students who do not believe in any of the religions.  I think these religion classes help the students to understand other cultures and respect them.  Knowing and understanding other race and ethnicity is the first step to prevent prejudice and racism.
              In my essay I will look at the characteristics of Australian education and find out whether they are related to anti-racism education and how.  Therefore my thesis statement for this essay will be, the Australian education is based on anti-racism, an education that focuses on understanding and respecting other race and ethnicity.

1 件のコメント:

  1. Hi Mio,

    I like your thesis statement. I think it will serve as the controlling idea for an interesting essay. I would like to suggest an alternative way of phrasing the thesis. Look at this alternative below. If you like it please feel free to use it.

    The Australian education can be characterized as anti-racist because it focuses on understanding and respecting other races and ethnicities.

    返信削除